Sunday, October 8, 2017

Homily for 27th Sunday in Ordinary Time: A Vintage Worthy of our Calling

As a child, I was taught the importance of the words 'please' and 'thank you.'  Both were to be used liberally.  It more than just a matter of good manners.  It was to help me understand that what was given to me was out of the hard work and love of others.  No matter how little the gift, a thank you was to be forthcoming.   It was an understanding that it was not by my hand that I had the roof over my head, the clothes on my back, the food in front of me, and the comforts provided.  It was not me who paid the rent, utilities, groceries, and various things that were just a part of day to day life.  This thankfulness would hopefully provoke me to take care of these gifts.

That's important.  A thankful heart fends off much sin.  If we do not cultivate thanksgiving, then something else will take its place.  The sins of envy, jealousy, greed, and gluttony will try and fill that hole where thanksgiving should be.  We see this in the readings today.

In the first reading from the Book of the Prophet Isaiah, God warns the people of Judah and Jerusalem that they are on the wrong path.  He reminds them that all that they are is a direct gift from Himself.  It was He who set them free from slavery, He who led them into the land, and He who made them strong and wealthy.  But the thanksgiving due Him was being rerouted. The people of Judah would go to them Temple and make their prayers and sacrifices to God. Had they stopped there, all would have gone well.  However, they would go into the Valley of Hinnom and worship the idols in the temples built there; built as a result of seeing what the pagans were worshiping and wanting to be like them.  The thanksgiving due God was stolen to be deposited at the feet of pagan idols.  The trust the people of Judah were to show in God alone was rerouted to lifeless stone and metal.  The vineyard God has planted bore an evil fruit unworthy of the builder of that vineyard.  If idols were what they wanted, then idols would be what they have.  They would soon find out that these idols would not save them from the coming destruction at the hands of the Babylonians.

In the Gospel,  Jesus is speaking to those who have long ago put aside these pagan idols, but still found a way to deny God the thanksgiving due. This time, that honor was hoarded by those who led the people.  The parable of the Vineyard, we are told, is specifically aimed at the Chief Priests and Elders of the people.  We are told the religious authorities liked being honored and praised.  The vintage that properly belonged to God was being kept and misused.  As with the people to whom Isaiah is speaking, this sin will also merit the taking away of the kingdom; this time to be given to those who will produce the vintage at its proper time.  We are that people.

Christ bids we bear fruit for eternal life.  What is this fruit of vintage?  It starts with thanksgiving. What we do when we come here to Mass is a microcosm of what that the macrocosm is supposed to look like when we are not at Mass.  One of the words we use to name what we do here is Eucharist.  The word Eucharist comes from the Greek for thanksgiving.  We give thanks here so that we may live as thankful people out there.  You'll notice that musicians, cantors, lectors, and servers volunteer here to help with right worship.  That again is reflected by what we volunteer to do out of here.  We take up a collection as a gathering of the thanksgiving sacrifice. This to points to a life of selflessness to be lived outside of here.  All of this is answered by the grace of God in the worthy reception of the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ made truly present in the Blessed Sacrament so that we might rise to the high standard of the Gospel.

It is important to ask ourselves what have we given thanks for today?  When we came into this church and knelt in preparation for Mass, for what did we give thanks to God?  If we are honest, there is much.  What you may ask?

It's like this:  one of the things that pushed me over the edge to follow God's will into the priesthood was an epiphany I had.  It was an understanding that I did not create myself.  I did not make my body.  I did not breath life into that body.  I might have nurtured that body, but it was given to me.  I did not place within myself my talents and abilities.  They also were there for me to develop.  All was given to me: I did not will to be born in this time, in this country, in this place, or to the family I was born into.  That all was given to me.  It was given out of the love that God and my parents had for me.  Understanding this and using wisely what has been given is an act of thanksgiving.  Using wisely what has been given, also known as stewardship,  is a needed part of our relationship with God.  Anything I do for God is a mere fraction of the what has been given to me.  Without that thankfulness, a dissatisfaction with those gifts and an annoying sense of entitlement grow and consume anything that brings true joy.

As with all things that God asks of us, thanksgiving is to our own good.  Furthermore, it is to the good of those around us.  Our thankfulness shows we have something unique and special that the world cannot give; something worth abandoning worldly allurements for something greater.

Thank you cannot be merely be confined to words alone.  Our life and actions must follow suit lest we fall into the traps that entrapped Judah and later, the chief priests and elders.  It's like this: say, as a teenager, when I had a bottomless pit for a stomach, that I thanked mom and dad for the food they had prepared and then gobbled it all for myself.   my thanks might well be suspect.  Part of thankfulness is mimicking the goodness shown us.   That goes back to the thanksgiving offering.  That offering, a small portion of the abundance of gifts God has given us, is used to ensure the mission of the parish and church and to help those in need.  Today is a perfect example:  the first collection goes to the ensuring the continuance of the mission of the church and the second collection will be given to those who suffered as a result of recent natural disasters.

The thanksgiving offering is your thank you to God.  This is why I do not look at, nor will I look at, giving records.  That is between you and God and the IRS if you claim it for taxes.  As I am not God, you are not answerable to me for what you give in thanksgiving; you are answerable to Him, as the readings remind us today.  My job is to give myself and to be a good steward of what is given, making sure it is given to ends for which it was given.  I stand responsible before God for that.  How well I can steer the activity and mission of the Church is enabled or constrained by what is given in thanksgiving.  However, thanksgiving is not limited to money.  It is the time and effort we give in executing the work of the parish and its ministries.  Sometimes that is a fundraiser, but more often than not it is a hands on help with ministry and education.  It is taking time for prayer every day.

By the same token, you have gotten an envelope from the diocese for the Catholic Stewardship Appeal.  The same applies to the diocese as applies to us.  What the diocese can or cannot do is enabled or constrained by what is or is not given.  If we believe that we can punish the diocese or parish by withholding funds, just remember, it is not a bishop of priest you end up hurting...but those who served by the diocese.

The upshot is this:  Our relationship with God and each other is built up by this vintage of thanksgiving.  We are stronger for it.  Let us use wisely what we are given, being good stewards.  This is especially true for those who present themselves this day for Communion.  Let us use this Body and Blood of Christ for the ends for which it is given: to make us stronger, better witnesses, and eternally grateful for God's goodness.  Let us reap an abundant harvest for the Lord; a harvest that draws otehrs to God.   

No comments:

Post a Comment